Monday, July 16, 2007

On An Unglam Day

Glam: Informal form of "Glamorous".
Unglam: Opposite of Glam. [DUH]

Just had Senior's Camp over the weekend, which was fun-filled despite sacrificing precious hours of sleep. To those who do not know, Senior's Camp is basically a camp organised by the Freshmen Orientation Camp Committee for graduated seniors and non-freshmen to unwind and come together for some quality catch-up time.

For me, the highlight of Senior's Camp was Fright Night. As one of the organising members, we worked hard to prepare for this event which will also be used later in the actual Freshmen Orientation Camp. We hand-sewed costumes, made props, created sound tracks and decorated (or wrecked in this case...) locations. Watching the actors & actresses put on their make-up is so much fun as the cosmetics perform wonders, turning good looking guys & gals into horrors that appear in your sleep. So think twice before chatting up a girl the next time you walk along Orchard Road, you never know what kind of horrors await you underneath that layer of cosmetics.

As station master, it was really satisfying to hear the senior's screams (mostly girl's and the occasional guy's) echoing out from within the station. Acting as a ghost during fright night can be quite horrible as you have to wait for long hours alone in the dark for your victims (and who you're scaring might not turn out to be who you think IT is..). For that, I would like to express my utmost gratitude to Ms. Cai & Ms. Low, Road to Hell wouldn't be quite that scary without you both. Hope you gals don't get any pimples from the cheap cosmetics.

Besides Fright Night, another major event of Senior's Camp was The Amazing Race. Contestants have to race all over our tiny island in search of clues that will lead us to the finishing line. It was also during this event when I did the most unglam thing in a long long long long time..

It happened on the MRT when we were traveling along NEL to Little India. The train was pretty much empty except for a few aunties and uncles and we were standing on the carriage connectors. 4 of the guys decided to squat down and started playing some orientation games, indulging in reminiscence while the other 3 of us stood aside to watch. I was standing closest to them and my roomie, who is non other than Mr. Tian, sat in the two-person seat on my other side. I was leaning against the fire extinguisher part of the "wall" when the train suddenly jerked while leaving the station and I started to lose my balance. Instinctively, I reached out for the corner of the "wall" to pull myself back... BUT the corners on ALL NEL trains are freaking round and smooth! Which resulted in the most unglam fall in my entirely life. (My roomie says he did not save me because he was too engrossed in watching the game. Tsk~)

Lets see...

Unglam Factor 1: I fell on my unexpecting friend who was squating & playing the game.

Unglam Factor 2: I failed to save myself from falling as I tried to grab the corner REPEATEDLY.

Unglam Factor 3: We were all stunned by my fall as we were all focused on watching the game. (trust me it was a very SMLJ moment)

Unglam Factor 4: As the guys were already drawing attention with their game playing, the ENTIRE 2 carriages worth of aunties and uncles saw me fall. *Sigh~~~*

The one and only bright side to my unglam moment is that all of us couldn't stop laughing, including me. So for the rest of the day, the guys started offering me their seats whenever we had to take the train and everytime we board a train, we would spontaneously start laughing. I must say it really is a good way to train your abs, laughing. I'm pretty sure I'll be hearing much more of this when the actual FOC arrives.

Till then, stay tuned to my unglam life. =_=

No comments: