Saturday, July 28, 2007

On Game Mentality

Mentality [Noun]: The set of one's mind; view; outlook.

Had another floorball match today, vs Mrymidons PY. They're a team consisting of secondary school students. We started off the game today lacking many key players, among them Gerald, Simon & John, due to personal commitments & injuries. The team was down to 2.5 lines, fewer players means more running and effort from everyone.

We were confident, or rather over-confident I would say, as we saw the opposition as another team of secondary school kids. They started off with a playing style we weren't accustomed to. Failing to adjust accordingly quick enough, we allowed them to put one pass our keeper early into the 1st period. 0-1. After conceding the first goal, the team's morale dipped drastically, losing our composure and focus.

We couldn't communicate properly, didn't apply any of the trainings we've done and made tons & tons of scrappy plays throughout the remaining 1st and the entire 2nd period, ultimately stuck at 0-1. I was filled with frustration and helplessness, hating myself for not being able to run faster and strike harder as we proceeded into the 3rd period. Frustrated & helpless.

Face off of the last period, the Mrymidons won it and I charged their defender, stealing the ball from him, I charged their keeper. He slid me but somehow, I managed to draw the ball aside and tap it into goal as I fell. I yelled in anger, hatred & frustration. It felt damn good. 1-1.

Soon after I got sent off (again) for rough play, tripping an opponent intentionally. I'm getting used to sitting in the penalty box, a true regular customer. I should get my own chair soon, autograph and all. Heck. The guys managed to hold off the opponent using box play and I came in as our right back, Bala, brought the ball up the right flank. He lost it 3/4 way and I stole it back quickly, tapped the ball back to Bala and he took a hard shot straight at goal. It found the back of the net. 2-1. He always wanted to play as a forward. Cheers to Bala.

After that we saw two more of our own get sent off for floor play (what I did during the previous match) and standing less than 3m from the opponent's free hit. The Mrymidons manage to equalise by scoring using a free hit near our goal. Somehow our human walls always seem to be made of paper. Effing hell. 2-2. Soon after, they scored again, using a smoothly executed set piece play from our corner. The guys must be really tired to have lost their focus and let their guard down as such. 2-3.

We desperately needed an equaliser, and an opportunity presented itself. We had a free hit near their goal. They had a 3 or 4 man human wall with Guo Yi in the middle creating a considerable gap which they failed to notice. Lee Cheong tapped the ball to me and I took a drag shot through Guo Yi's legs. Lucky us. 3-3. Full time. If not for Guo Yi's perseverance, we would have lost the game.

Lessons of the day:
1) Never underestimate your opponent.
2) Floorball is a high-scoring game, being down 0-1 is nothing. Fight back.
3) Never let your guard down. Always maintain composure & focus.
4) Always help one another. Floorball is a team game. Communication is everything.

Hope that everyone learns from the match today, we'll be facing Republic Poly next week. Like coach said, they'll be 2x harder and 3x faster. Train hard people. See you guys on Monday. =_=

No comments: